I have been observing hookah smokers for a long time. I compiled a list of the top reasons why people continually smoke it. This extensive list is by no means meant to encourage smoking.
1. Primitive instinct. Sucking on a hookah tip is reminiscent subconsciously of being breastfed (comforting action. ) Few years ago, I helped name an American disposable hookah hose brand the Puff Baby, based on this reason.
2. Yoga action. End of the day, with all of the stress of the day, one becomes short-breathed and tired. Smoking hookah will help the smoker relax through continual long duration inhalation and exhalation cycles. This mimics some yoga exercising, albeit with harmful smoke instead of fresh air. The filling-and-emptying exercise is undoubtedly relaxing.
3. Nicotine gets replenished in the blood for those addicted to smoking. Within seconds there comes the adrenaline rush, a boost in energy (heart rate increase), followed by a boost in pleasure thanks to increased dopamine in the blood stream. This puts hookah tobacco closer to Psychoactive drugs.
4. Forbidden Fruit. Look this way, I’m smoking. How cool is that?
5. Hookah Lounge. Social life, hanging out, showing off, expressing oneself. A night club alternative? Open till late night.
6. Malicious Exotic Fruit Association. Strong realistic flavors mixed with tobacco. Orange hookah head, pineapple head, watermelon head, etc. It can’t get healthier than that! Or not?